Originally Posted By: Micah
On the agenda is some music, both stuff he thinks will show off the M80's I'm sure, as well as some of my stuff that I presume is well recorded stuff, but maybe I'll find out different... as well as some movies (exerps of course, we're not going to sit through 6 hours of movies, just the highlights). And we're going to squeeze this into a 3 hour window so that he can go on with his life as usuall (don't want to wear out my welcome).

It should be just the thing I need to settle my newfound nerves. I'll keep in mind his room will probably be MUCH more suited to his set-up, but I'll still have a great idea of what they 'can' sound like!

My plan is to only have 2 CDs which I know are recorded very well, and 2 that I know are terrible recordings. The rest will be all your choice. I just want you to see how revealing the speakers really are, and that it should be a big consideration in your choice of speakers. Some of my favorite music from the 80s is basically unlistenable now due to how bad the recordings really are. But, I wanted monitor level speakers, ones that I felt truly reproduced the recorded sound without colorization.

As for the room characteristics, I feel they play almost as big a part (if not more) than the speakers themselves. The audition will be in my home theater which, although not perfect, is what I would consider an above average room for sound. The dimensions are 16x18.5x8.5, and the room is carpeted and has sound absorption panels on the walls and ceiling. I also have bass traps in the back corners. I would consider my room on the dead side because of all of the treatment, but that works for me since I enjoy my music at louder levels (90-93db). Keep in mind that a non-treated room will result in a "brighter" sound. I posted pix of the theater before the EP800s on the Axiom website:

http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=206049

And, as far as the alcohol goes... I think we are set:

LFR1100 Actives,QS10HPx2,QS8x2,EP800,M3x4,M3x2 (Wood),M5HPx2 (Wood),AxiomAir,ADA1500-8,ADA1500-7