Wow, I just spent two whole days reading this thread as well as the thread on the Salk forum. And all I can say is that I'm fairly weary now of how the M80's will sound in my dedicated HT room. The reason for this is that I have hard wood floors, and it's very square (24 x 24), and I have leather furniture as well with no wall treatments (do wall portraits count as treatments?). I'm not sure whether or not I'm a 'bright' fan or not to be honest. The only two speakers I've owned in the past were a bottom-line set of Sony's, and a very modest ($650 dollar a pair) set of Cerwin Vega's. Neither of which would I be able to discribe very accurately as either 'bright' or 'laid-back'... I'd just call them 'cheap'!

And cheap just means that I was putting up with them, waiting till the day I could afford some 'real' speakers. Well that day is here, and now I'm wondering if $1200 dollars is enough to spend to get a 'real' set of speakers? Or will I buy the M80's and realize that I should have spent an extra $800 dollars on my purchase to get something that is actually a respectable loudspeaker? I'm really not trying to ruffle any feathers in this thread, and I do realize that most here are listening to M80's with great satisfaction, so naturally you feel you have 'real' speakers. I'm just truely looking for the best bang for my buck, and right now I can definately afford $2000 dollar tower speakers. To be honest my first attempts at researching tower speakers started in the $2000 dollar range, because I used to want to get the Cambridge Soundwork towers that they used to sell for $2000 dollars.

But when they no longer carried those, I searched elsewhere, and my research also concerned subwoofers. That's when Axiom popped up, and when I started to research the HT packages the M80's sounded to be a hellofa bargain at $1200. But I told myself they were actually at least $2400 dollar speakers if sold through a retailer (the average retailer doubles the price of their merchandise), so the fact that they were only $1200 dollars through Axiom's 'direct internet' sales approach seemed like a bargain. But it sounds as though maybe there are better choices out there for my budget.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that the M80's are fantastic for $1200 dollar floor standing speakers, it's just that I'm looking more at the $2000 dollar end of the quality spectrum. So I hope there aren't any hard feelings, or thoughts that I don't respect the choices of most on this board if indeed I don't decide the M80's are what I desire. I've heard a lot of praise on this board (of coarse), but the voices here are also very impartial.

I'm still very confident that the EP800, VP150, and the QS8's are a solid choice to fill my HT requirements out. It's just when I'm listening to my system in a dedicated two channel musical reproduction arrangement that I'm starting to stress out over whether or not I'll be truely happy with the decision to go completely Axiom. They would no doubt be worlds better than anything I've had to date, but how long before I realize I wish I'd just spent the extra money to get something even better? Oh sure there is ALWAYS more money to be spent to improve upon sound quality. I mean once I look in the $2000 dollar range I'll probably stumble across some $3000 dollar speakers that put them to absolute shame. Then as soon as I've given my wallet the green light to reach up to the $3000 dollar speakers, I'll suddently find some $4000 dollar speakers that make the $3000 dollar speakers sound like complete garbage, and so on and so on into infinity. Eventually I'll wind up with a $25,000 dollar pair of speakers that 'could have sounded better had I just spent $30,000 dollars'!!!

So I'm well aware that $2000 dollars isn't the magical point in which speakers suddenly leap to life or anything like that. I guess I'm just more insecure now that Bob has gone and pissed on everyone's parade here at Axiom and brought to the table a huge list of complaints I've never really read before about the speakers. And although I'm aware than non-Axiomites will have greatly differing opinions on the M80's than those who live with them everyday, it was quite an eye opener to read so many people refering the the M80's as a 'bright' speaker... and not just as in a little too much treble, but rather rough treble at that.

Perhaps I just need a good slap in the head?

Last edited by Micah; 02/24/09 09:43 PM.

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD