Originally Posted By: CV
Originally Posted By: CV
Maybe the electronics in the speaker are calculating what the ideal reflected sound would be if the speaker was an omni-directional design, but simply shooting that calculated sound forward in the more traditional forward-facing design?

I don't know how clear I am in stating what I mean, or how feasible it is. Based on the hints, I'm thinking that it might be simulating reflected sound. As Ian says, the two prominent, broad categories driving the new design are DSP+omni-directional, but he also states that there's the potential to "juice" the performance of existing models. Since none of the Axiom line-up is omni-directional, it makes me think perhaps they're achieving a likeness of that sound with a direct radiating speaker. If it's convincing, it might be superior to other omni-directional designs simply from an ease-of-placement standpoint. It seems like placement of omni-directional speakers is even trickier than placement of direct radiating, at least from the admittedly limited reading I've done. It seems like some of those speakers really like being placed further into the room, away from the walls.

Anyway, that's my best guess, but there's a lot that's open to interpretation. I'm still vague on what the references to "listening window" might mean, so I don't know if what I'm saying speaks to that at all.

It's going to be fun finding out further details. I just wonder if the new speakers are going to have their own internal amplifiers. It might take away from dedicated amplifier sales once Axiom is offering a new version of their amp, but I guess if people buy powered speakers from Axiom, they're still buying Axiom amps. It just seems like there'd be some benefit to being able to tailor the DSP's code to both the exact performance characters of the speaker as well as the amplifier supplying the power. Again, my ignorance rears its head.

It was mentioned before that the listening window in reference to the mystery box goes beyond the standard definition AVG (-+15° vertical,-+15°or -+30° horizontal). I'm thinking it might encompass more of the power response.

If you go with an active option instead of an internal amp approach you can match specifically the power capabilities to each individual driver in the speaker. This is the approach the Bryston speaker is taking. That speaker will have massive power handling and dynamic capabilities.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne