Of course, everything here is speculation. Not only in my post right here, but in almost every previous one. None of us has heard the new speaker yet, so making any assumptions about it's value in comparison to the existing Axiom lineup or to other brands is pointless.

So, continuing on with my pointless post.....

[speculation mode]

My guess, based upon the information we DO know, is that the new speakers are not going to re-invent the M80s. After all, they already are known for being flat, having incredible dynamic range (especially with good power), and having a neutral sound. I don't really know where an M80 could be improved, with the possible exception of a few more 6.5", or additional 8~10" drivers to bring their bottom end even lower yet.

What HAS been said, is that the new speaker offers rear-facing drivers and interestingly, requires separate amplification of those drivers.

There's a difference in imaging between a point-source and omnidirectional speaker (or at least one with rear-facing drivers). I had some old DCM Timeframe speakers before my Axioms, and they had rear-facing drivers as well. The Bose 901s are probably the best known, and most extreme example of the kind, with a single forward facing driver and many rear-facing drivers.

Having a speaker with this design can seriously spread out the soundstage; detractors say it takes away from precise imaging.

My guess is that the Axiom design team will use the rear-facing speakers here, in conjunction with separate amps and processing, to offer the best of both worlds.

And, if true, there really won't be an easy comparison of value to an M80 or to another brand, because the speaker could offer something that the others can't: A wide, yet precise soundstage for stereo listening, and possibly the ability to "bypass" the rear speakers if they are operating in an environment or with sources where you don't wish to broaden the soundstage. (Though if they offered point-source-like imaging as well, I'm not sure there would ever be much of a reason to turn off those rear drivers!).

[/speculation mode]

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::