As Kruncher aptly noted I was not making a one for one comparison. To me things like irrational exuberance fall on a scale making for a difference in degree and not kind, this is the social scientist in me where I prefer not to see differences as discrete but rather falling on a continuum which is the basis of my comparison.

The way I look at it is if I were to decide to upgrade my mains or whole system for that matter (can’t imagine why I would unless I won the lottery and then I’d upgrade my house (read room) first) I would revisit all potential speakers that focus on neutral presentation. So say if the new Axioms came in at the same price as the B&Ws I though sounded better than the M80s (but not 3 times better) then I would also consider the B&Ws as viable upgrades. To do otherwise out of brand loyalty would not make any sense to me.

OTOH if I was shopping for my speakers for the first time like before when I chose Axiom and the new Axioms sounded just as good as those B&Ws and cost the same then I’d still buy the M80s and . . . because IMO the new Axioms wouldn’t be any better value than the B&Ws were. I just don’t see the sense in paying a much greater sum for something that is incrementally better than what I could get for much less. In short the opportunity cost for higher end speakers is just too much for me to rationalize.

Last edited by grunt; 03/12/12 03:47 AM.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1