Despite growing up in a community with a commercial fishing fleet, my wife dislikes seafood.

So, we had some Prime Top Sirloin yesterday. They were about 2" thick and about a pound apiece (yes, we had leftovers).

I used a technique (courtesy Alton Brown) that I had not tried before, because I was concerned about getting them "done" on a grill, and I had time. I put them in a 275F oven (on a rack) until the internal temp was about 95-100F. Then, I finished them in a very hot cast iron skillet until they got to about 118-120F. Obviously, you must have an instead read thermometer to do this (highly recommend a Thermapen despite the cost).

I was able to obtain epic levels of fond on the meat, which was still juicy and pink on the inside. I know that some people do this in the reverse order (sear then finish in the oven). I really liked yesterday's method, because all of the delicious meat juice that was lost ended up in the pan, ready for some shallots, red wine and whatever you like in your pan sauce. There were absolutely no drippings in the oven.

I will use this method again for larger cuts of steak.

Last edited by tomtuttle; 05/14/12 03:58 PM. Reason: Typo

bibere usque ad hilaritatem