Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
At least you wouldn't have that "paint smell".
smile

I'm sorry, Mark, but that is not correct. Depending on what I've had for lunch, both possibilites remain extant.

JP is trying to bait me!! Since we know he's never gotten his Metro fingernails dirty, ever, he therefore has no opinion at all. Schadenfreude, indeed!

Oh, WTF! It was eniwitaboh.

I will never say that Home dePot and bLOWE'S have bad paint, because they don't. And they're a bargain price. Valspar Signature line is my favorite of the home center offerings. 2nd choice would be the competition's Glidden. The higher cost lines are worth the $$ and still way less than Uncle Ben.

On more than 75% of designer and architect specs for color, it's Ben Moore. When you see "pros" not using BM, California, Muralo, Farrow & Ball, et al. (many good ones are regional brands), it's because they got hired out in front of HD just 2 hours earlier.

There are certain values and hues that suck in some lines of BM and I won't use them, but I have other choices there. I won't touch their value line primer/paint in one, partly because, as of yet, there is no such thing (well, not on MY newly skimmed walls, anyway). Also, for every kind of paint application possible (radiators, cement floors, etc.), Ben makes a base that can be tinted to any of it's 3600+ colors.

Pros cannot trust who happens to be on-shift at the home center, especially when it comes to custom-matching whites. Pros cannot wait for the 3 grannies in line ahead of them at the paint counter, nor, after that, the 5 people in front of them at self check-out. (Oh, Gawd, it's Marie today! She's an idiot. It'll be lunch before I get to work.) Pros need mfgrs. that listen to what the pros are telling their dealers. Pros cannot hear, "Hiii, there!!! This is my first day in the Paint Department! I just got moved up from Household Cleaners!" Pros cannot have their supplier change the formulation of their white (the base of ALL house paints) at whim without letting us know. This happens as many as 2 times in a single year at home centers. Home centers do not carry lines of oil paint as bases. Home centers are lagging when it comes to paint technology advances. In any older American city, there will be a BM dealer far closer than a home center. LA, SF or Frostheave, NH--- no matter where I've traveled to paint--- there's one closer than a home center. That's huge to us! Bottom line is that a pro needs a pro dealer, not this week's new hire, even if some of the paint at the other end of that huge parking lot is just as good.

I'm not finished, but I'm stopping.

Last edited by BobKay; 04/02/12 10:41 PM.

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.