Went to the auto show in Kansas City today. One car I liked was Subaru outback. So afterward, I stopped at a Subaru dealer and test drove 2 of them. A 4 banger and a 6 banger. 4 banger didn't have enough oomph, and the 6 was about right. The premium sound system was lacking in bass and overall clarity. It has a small subwoofer built in.

A smaller model had speaker upgrades with a larger subwoofer installed, due to an upgrade done by the customer that hadn't picked up the car yet, so I listened to it. Better clarity, but a one note bass system with no volume control. You gotta be kidding me. Horrible overall sound. The best sound I can hope for is to retain the small subwoofer with a tweeter upgrade.

Cost of vehicle with upgraded packages is $38,500. Gas mileage 25 highway. So-so sound.

A lot of cars at the auto show were decent, then you go to listen to the audio and oops, deal breaker. Can't upgrade audio system like you can in the past. Have to settle for what comes with the car. Bummer.

Probably the best audio I heard from the cars i listened to was the Toyota Pilot.