Agreed, suspending heavy things on your rod can be dangerous.
AND NO, that's not what I meant!!!

Another long story....Sorry.
When I was a kid, we moved into a very old but beautiful house that my Dad bought for a steal because he did odd jobs all his life for the three old ladies who lived there. The living room had thick, solid wood sliding doors on two sides with hugely heavy, velvet curtains on brass rods. They were kind of spooky looking actually. In fact, years later when I was in high school our neighbour, an older gentleman whom I remember as being truly a master carpenter, asked if he could borrow them for a set he was building for the summer theatre production of Dracula.

It was a beautiful set that rivalled something you might see on TV. The curtains were used in the living room scenes. Tim, the carpenter had used a thick, wooden dowel to suspend the heavy curtains black side out. When it switched to the tomb, they were raised by a rope system, they swung the pole around and lowered them with the deep red coloured side out.

One night, whomever rigged the curtains for the Dracula show didn't secure them properly and in once scene when Renfield came barging through, they fell on his head knocking him out cold. The actors brilliantly worked it into the story line and got him off stage where he came around.

I should note that the fellow who played Renfield was almost always drunk and no doubt this contributed to the falling curtains and why the other actors were so accustomed to add-libbing as he stumbled about. I worked at the theater running the canteen and every night that Dracula played, I put on an extra pot of coffee to help sober up Renfield. In fact, I got to play Renfield myself one night when both he and his stand in were just too drunk to go on at all. But that is another story.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.