Originally Posted By craigsub
Having the experience of a direct comparison between an EP-800 and an SB-16 Ultra in our theater, the EP-800 was the subwoofer we kept. It is a subwoofer that starts out great, then gets better with age. The slam is excellent, but it's the subtle bass lines that it delivers that seal the deal.

Sonically, it's the best sub I have heard. This includes a JL Audio Gotham @ $13,000.

The SB 16 Ultra I bought had no guts whatsoever, in fact it was about even with the very inexpensive PC 2000 I had on loan to test. Worse yet, the SB16 Ultra died after a few hours of use (amp just stopped suddenly). My 15 year old box store purchased Def Tech PF 15TL Plus with a paper cone 15 inch driver and 500 watts outperformed all of the SVS subs I tried... again, in my room, not necessarily what your room will produce. But the fact that my old Def Tech took a lightning hit, died immediately then came back to life and lived another year afterwards speaks volumes towards a US built speaker (sadly they are no longer built here, China rules). I will not replace it with another product from them as I don't do Chinese, if at all possible which is becoming increasingly difficult.