Originally Posted By exlabdriver
"Flawed theory on small speakers paired with subs. Woofers, mids, tweeters, x-over and tower enclosure along with the room, blend together to present a soundstage, dynamics and instrument localization that can't be replicated with a sub and bookshelves."

Bullsh%t...

TAM

There are trade offs with both. If you have the space go big. Bookshelves are wonderful, but physics dictate they can not compete with the dynamics of more and larger drivers. It can be harder to properly blend towers to sub than bookshelves to sub by ear. Truth is, you can do neither 100% without putting a mic on it. Big towers with subs can be superlative, and scary. Scary dynamics are what makes content sound real.

In a small room for music use there is nothing wrong with a bookshelf based setup. TAM is lucky. His wallet is not constantly wondering 'what if'? smile The problem I have is learning and 'what if' are as much the hobby as listening. But I'm a books and build kind of audiophile I guess.

The more I learn the more Ive realized any system can be made to sound really good. But there are always trade offs.