Just catching up with this thread.

Slim - Excellent write up on your 500. Mojo - your comments are spot on.

Between Ian and Andrew, they really have nailed the sound quality with their line of subs. When we did the under $1000 subwoofer thread 2 years ago, the new EP350 was the one sub that was stunning in its performance.

Even that "little sub" delivered serious bass, with lots of punch. At high levels, its floor was about 22 Hz, but that is PLENTY deep. And unlike the (still very nice) SVS-PC2000, it is, in my experience, impossible to get it to make a "bad sound".

The DSP controlled subs - and we have triple EP800's here (two in the main theater room and one in the basement high end theater) - are capable of hanging with the finest subs available. Stereophile recently raved about the SVS SB-16 Ultra.

We had the Ultra here, and ours was a properly working unit. The EP-800 was superior in every listening test. The only caveat is the Ultra will play a bit louder - but when it does, it is pushing things to the point of audible distortion.

We also have a Powersound Audio V-3601 which almost hangs with the EP800 for music and bests it for home theater. The down side is it is big and ugly. It does not fit with the decor - in fact, it is for sale if anyone wants to drive by and pick it up. PM me for details.

Our subs are the 180 degree switch. I may have to take this up with Ian. laugh

Slim - you are on the right track. I think you would be pleased with an EP800, and reading about your journey is a lot of fun.

Mojo - the problem for Ian is his subs are not designed to win a Data Bass competition, and the magazines don't even give him an honest try.

We probably all need to do a better job representing Ian's products when people are here. We only do it because we love the hobby and appreciate the products. There is nothing in it for us. smile