Originally Posted By: Serenity_Now

Future proofing is a speculative thing due to the fickle nature of electronics trends. With the prescribed "death" of bluray I keep reading about looming, is Atmos a reality for mainstream consumers? What to do?

I can't say i've heard about death of Bluray, unless this is a prelude to the new 4k images and a new form of DVD to hold 4k data. However, being truly realistic, of every single person i know around me, neighbors, friends, hockey teamates, etc. i am one of only TWO people to have a 'high' quality 5.1 home theatre system. I don't know of a single person that owns more than one subwoofer nor do i know of anyone who has a TV larger than 50".

Atmos may be coming but keeping up with the Joneses? For over a decade now we already surpassed the Joneses, the Smiths, the Browns, ....
A 5.1 system is still very much the mainstream if not the dream system for most folk. What the electronics can do is advancing fast, but most people can't afford to keep up with, or even enter into the basics of a complete 5.1 home theatre IMO. How much are these new advances even being used?
Heck, i still own a 2002 Onkyo and only now am having some thoughts about changing out the 12 year old 50" Toshiba RPTV for a flatscreen and swapping out the AVR.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."