I am starting to get into looking at ordering room finishes. I'm starting early so by the time I need to make decisions I have left ample time for my wife to be involved in the choosing process.

I have plans for a DIY door involving 4 layers of 3/4 MDF and 2 plates of glass (planned with one plate @ 1/4" and one plate @ 1/2" per door spaced at 2".) These will be built and hung before the room is drywalled to allow proper sealing and beefing up DIY casings. We are heading to HD tonight to have a look at colour schemes for carpet/paint/trim/woodwork. This way I can keep finishes in mind as I am sealing the area between the plates of glass. I've been warned the door can't be a mcguyver hackjob. Huh?! grin

I also went to a local AV specialty store to try to source an AT screen locally, or at least find out about pricing. The first guy didn't even know what I was talking about. He was the owner..... "I'm looking for an acoustically transparent screen for a front projection theater." Pause. "You know, where you mount the speakers behind the screen at the front of the room." Pause...... "Is that a 4K tv?" I guess they dont get much call for these where I'm at.

The second fella in the store, a seasoned installer, knew exactly what I was after and quickly jumped on the phone. I got a quote for a screen from the distributor for a Draper fixed frame woven AT screen at 110". He was pretty great to deal with and I could tell he yearned for more customers with a background in the hobby.

It was pretty expensive, more than I imagined. So far the DIY route remains a no brainer.

Last edited by Serenity_Now; 01/06/15 08:01 PM.