Interesting video from Home Theater Geeks that's very germane to this thread. Thought I would share.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j23aG6pSYok

Lauded home theater designer and constructor Dennis Erskine shares some of this projects and outlook on room design and acoustics. He touches on ATMOS and 4K video technology as well.

A couple of gems I took away from the interview was his notion of being able to bias the bass response by using 2 or more subs balanced to provide a "virtual" subwoofer location. ie. if the sub would be ideally located in the center of the floor, you can create this location by splitting the difference between the actual physical locations and individual gain settings. He states "the experienced typical ideal location for a subwoofer is in a moderate location in the room about 1/3 from each neighboring boundry into the room." He explains how using multiple subs can balance modal issues-- not necessarily smoothing bass response across all listening positions which he refers to as a misnomer. "Smooth bass is not the same as good bass. It only means same bass- good or bad." Very interesting.

Another tidbit I heard and echo again and again is the importance of the room in a design. To paraphrase: "80% of what you are hearing is the room. It is the single most important factor in the system- more so than the speakers themselves." He also favors engineered acoustic products over DIY. Go figure. laugh

He also showed how he used acoustical panels to act as doors for storage cupboards and screen wall access. A great idea for access to the electrical panel and rear of equipment backing into the wall of my planned room.

Oh to be rich enough......