It was a weekend of ups and downs. I fully intended to be finished painting this weekend. Friday was a long day at work. My plan to get a jump on the weekend with a Friday night coat went awol. After meeting with a sidejob client, picking up supplies and making the 45min drive back to the office to file timecards.... to the pub!

Saturday morning started well, and early. By 5:30 I was tucking into breakfast and by 6:45 the garage was under a blanket of beautifying fumes. Glad the organic respirator from spray foaming the basement wasnt lost in the shuffle. By Saturday at 2 the paint was solid and it was time to remove masking.

One of the towers exhibited flaws that made it the guinea pig speaker, so I experimented with the best strategy to remove the mask on it. Pulling back at 45, pulling towards at 45... nope. The best way to remove mask and not hurt the paint, while keeping the mask from tearing is straight back -perpendicular to the work surface. Unmasking the towers was like opening a present from an aunt. I wasnt sure what it was, and I wasnt sure I was going to like it.

All in all it was OK. There were some issues to resolve caused by overheating one side of a tower, and general tape bleed to look past. To reduce the visibility of the split face required a small craft brush and some spot detailing with stain.

SHELLAC. It cures, saves and hides missteps What a great product. Once it started going on I was rewarded with that familiar golden glow. You know, like the trophy case in your junior high, or your first project in wood shop. A loon piggy bank for me, got a B-. The best I can describe the process was fast and non threatening. Brush it in and it wicks to where it should and tacks up in seconds. There wasnt even a strong odor, but I still wore the Vader respirator.

It was a good weekend and I learned a lot. The impending finishline is tantalizingly close. Patience is key now.