I am planning an slight overhaul in my theater. Mainly to get my front main speakers a little bit wider (which means tearing down the false wall and moving it about a foot further into the room), and then the moving of my side surround a bit more forward, and the rear surrounds a bit wider too. At the same time I plan to map out a different wall panel layout. Something that is a bit more aesthetic as well as functional, and it will require me adding two more 2 foot x 4 foot panels that are 3.5" thick.

This is where I am toying with adding diffusion. 3.5" isn't very thick, and most QRD diffusers need at least 7-8" of depth, so those are out. I was thinking about a poly diffuser because I can work with the size to get a 30 degree arc and if sized right still have it fit in that 3.5" space. I just don't know how much it will help. Not saying that diffusion doesn't help, but that due to the restriction in depth, it could be a waste.

Of course, I could make the 2 additional panels absorption like the others, but I am really getting close to that 20% max absorption number so I thought that I would look back into diffusion.

I just watched Ethan's video over my lunch break just today, but have a bit of planning to figure out. He says that 3" is the minimum depth, but also that they should be further away from the MLP than what might work for me, so we'll see. As he mentions, absorption can solve all acoustical problems, but also make the room seem smaller.

The new panels will be the last thing that I do, so I am in no rush, but I will be looking to tackle everything else in about 10 days when I have a 3 day weekend.

Farewell - June 4, 2020