Bored an in a puttering mood this morning. I took a clock radio on full blast volume and stuck it inside of the duct box in the supply end of the HT. I went upstairs to see if I could hear any sound coming from the vent in the living room.(located in same duct line teeing off 15' before HT)

All I can say is flex duct is an amazing product for eliminating sound transmission. I know its only a clock radio, but it was put literally inside the duct system at an irritating volume. In use I dont think the duct will ever get that much direct sound energy. Feels good to get the concept tested before drywall is up. grin

I have started to put together a material list for the drywall order and have partly insulated the dividing wall with left over insulation from making the acoustic panels. The framing for bulkheads around the beam and ductwork is done. Not much to show for pics, but chipping away at the tedious details.

I am not interested in green glue or clips (not in budget) but for an extra $200 or so I can 5/8" double drywall the ceiling. Is it worth it for just the ceiling?

Edit: I should mention that all walls/ceiling will be insulated with quiet zone and drwall mounted on resilient channel.

Thanks.

Last edited by Serenity_Now; 01/10/15 03:17 PM. Reason: Info added