Originally Posted By Serenity_Now
Will do. I've never heard that guideline before. I thought THX said the axis should be 0-15 degrees above eye level. The planned bar stool row will be way lower by comparison. Right now the midpoint of the screen is just above the tweeters sitting at 39". I think defacto seating eye level is 40". The screen is pretty close to directly on viewing axis.

15 degrees is for the maximum you should have to look up from your seated position, but it doesn't take into account "looking down".

Going with THX specs, your viewing angle, seating distance, and screen size all line up nicely. Many people go a little bigger screen wise than THX (like I am at 138" screen at 12 feet (eyes to screen) and everyone loves it). Keep in mind that THX is NOT about the "big movie experience" of IMAX, Cinemark XD, etc, and I am not saying to go that route, but you may find that you like being a little closer to the 106" screen than 11.667 feet too. My previous theater had 104" and I sat 14.5 feet back and liked it, so no worries either way.
(Here is a nice little THX calculator from many years ago that is easy to use: THX Calculator )

Here is something on the 15 degree that I found with a quick Google search... I can't imagine being in the front row with my eyes lined up almost with the bottom of the image, but that is how it is drawn, not that the 15 degree rule is bad (it isn't bad).

Back to the "eyes at about 1/3 from the bottom of the screen" thing... I just hit up Google...

The following is from AudioCircle.com originally from some woodworking site for hosting. Just from Google...

Home Theater Shack says 1/3 as well (some bozo jumps in and talks about a 50" plasma, but for larger projection screens it is 1/3:
HTS Height of Fixed Screen discussion

They say the same in this conversation from AVForums... 1/3 from the bottom is eye height:
AVF Screen Height conversation

So on and so forth. Several mentions on AVS as well.

The only "mainstream" website that should know this stuff that doesn't seem to say 1/3 is Audioholics, and we know what kind of people are over there. LOL

Maybe it is an illusion of the photos as well. The general rule of thumb is 1/3 from the bottom of the screen should be around 38" off the floor (average human eyeball height when seated).

Of course, lots of leeway here too. If someone reclines or slouches, then their eyes are lower (which would put the screen lower too *in theory*) HOWEVER, they are now no longer looking straight ahead, but are looking more upward, which screws the 15 degree rule and then would say that the screen needs to be higher.

Fun stuff, isn't it?!?

Farewell - June 4, 2020