Quote:
I was just wondering if anyone knows if there is a major difference between car stereo subwoofers and home theater subwoofers? It also made me curious as to what the Axiom's would sound like in a trunk box?

I believe that most Car subwoofers are designed for small enclosures. For the most part they do not make good HT drivers. The JL w6 and w7 series are the exception and have quite a reputation in the DIY world. They are extremely linear and thus low distortion.

Quote:
But it made me curious what would happen if you tried to shoe-horn a pair of W6 V2's into a home theater sub box like this one? Would they sound right in this kind of setting?

If the box were designed specifically for the driver they would make a great HT subwoofer. The Fathom 112/113 use the 12 and 13" version of this driver as does the Gotham. All are highly respected subs.

I do not know that they would sound any better than the EP800. From what I understand, the Fathoms do not play that low (not much output below 20Hz) so the EP800 may in fact be a better all around HT sub. Personally I would love to see someone like Audioholics do a shootout with the newest offerings from JL, HSU SVS and Axiom.

FWIW, the current king of the DIY world is the 18" MaelstromX from Exodos.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!