Didn't read a lot of the thread, but read the part about the WRX and Legacy. WRX was my last car, and I have a Legacy now, so I can speak to this. The WRX was a lot of fun. Handles well, all wheel drive for bad weather, and FAST!

I got my Legacy in Jan 2009 (end of Dec 2008 technically). I knew a baby was not far off (had our first this past December) so I wanted something 4 door, preferably with a little more space than the WRX, but still something fun. I drove a bunch of cars and ended up with the Legacy GT. The GT is the key part of that. It is still plenty fast (mid 5's 0-60 if I recall) and handles well, but is a bit smoother of a ride and has more room in the back for the car seat.

I've had good luck with Subaru maintenance wise as well. I'd recommend it to you.

I would steer clear of Audi/VW. They are about as bad as it gets for reliability, at least according to consumer reports. My wife had an Audi and it fit the CR assessment. Always seemed to be things going wrong with it. She has a Honda CRV now and it's been good.