Thwack, indeed.

You are all so kind - thank you. Whether healthy or not, your support and encouragement are meaningful to me.

Quote:
I say that if Peter B. ever gets a ride in Tom's car, he must speak only in enthusiastic German.

LOL! Yes, I think so, too.

Peter, Alex (13) was with me throughout the whole process, so he got the first ride. I scared him quite a bit on the BMW test drive. Emily (16) asked me what it's like to be so fancy.

I decided to be slightly less risk averse. I don't feel good about it. I'm actually horrified about potential repair costs. The dealer offered me an extended warranty ($4,000 for 4 years / 48,000). My wife HATES those things, and prefers to roll the dice. I'm not so sure, but here I am. Her parents both have Mercedes (Dad has an older S320 and Mom has a newer C230 which I do not fit in). So, I'll just blame them.

I do love Japanese cars. Except for a couple Fords along the way, that's basically all I've ever had. Problem was, when I started looking at sports cars, they were just too damn small. I liked this car a lot better than the 350Z, Miata or S2000 (which are probably the direct comparables) and obviously better on balance than anything else I drove. Honestly, I was pretty set to get the BMW, and with this car I pondered "if not now, when?" as far as a vehicle like this. It is extremely comfortable. The V6 is amazing, the shifter was fun and intuitive right away and the power/weight ratio provides the requisite fun. There's a bit more technology than I'm comfortable with, but Mike D - the car does have a dipstick.

I figure it's a good midlife crisis car and slightly less stereotypical than others I considered. I really didn't think I could find a retractable hard top that I could afford. Julie kept telling me to get what I want as long as it wasn't a waitress.

Of course, it rained today (but I drove it anyway). Sorry to have caused the end of Summer, everybody.

Last edited by tomtuttle; 08/31/10 04:43 PM. Reason: forgot

bibere usque ad hilaritatem