I'm just going to recycle and repurpose this thread.

Now, I need an SUV. We have a 1999 Ford Windstar van that has served us well, but it's starting to do really weird electrical stuff and it has ~170k miles on it.

So, we need something for Mrs. Tuttle to drive. She is used to having the van at her disposal, which means never having to pack light for a road trip. Also, the dog seems to be immortal. We anticipate additional road trips for kids' swim meets, and we need to be able to take ice chests, pop-up canopies, chairs, etc. The Missus also has an annoying weakness for catering meets that our club hosts. I think that we're both still in denial about empty-nesthood in a few years, and want to entertain the idea that all four of us might go somewhere for fun. She doesn't seem to be responding to my inquiries as to the relative importance of seating more than 5 people (which comes up rarely).

I wouldn't mind having AWD, but I'm not sure I'm prepared to pay extra for it. We stay on the road. It rarely snows in Western WA.

We both like the idea of the Fords because they are made in America by union workers at a company that didn't take bailout money. Also, the back seats fold FLAT. Not just down, flat. I poked at but have not yet driven newer Explorer, Flex and Edge. I think the Escape might be too small. I seriously need to figure out what will and will not fit in the garage.

We would probably buy something 2-3 years old for ~$25k or less.

Subarus are a non-starter. Every time I ask Mrs. Tuttle about them, she says "did I become a lesbian?" to which I enthusiastically say "it does not seem so". Pity. About the Subaru, I mean.

Now, I think nothing is better for these purposes than a van. I think we should probably get an Odyssey or a Sienna. But there's some stigma there, and I think she's ready to not have a minivan just for the sake of not having a minivan.

I like the looks of the Mazda CX-9 and Volvo XC90 (I still haven't gotten over the seats in the S60 I didn't buy. Dreamy). Of course, also considering the CR-V and the RAV4, but I'm not sure they are big enough. My sister-in-law has a Highlander and it is "too small". Man, I hope gas gets cheaper, because I feel like I'm looking at 14mpg.

I'm pretty sure that we'll dance around this thing for a while and then get a Flex unless she absolutely hates driving it. Mrs. Tuttle thinks they're cool. They look like a bloated Mini Cooper to me. Or a station wagon on steroids. Whatever. Happy wife, happy life.

What say you?

bibere usque ad hilaritatem