I agree with Mary - if something bugs me before the purchase, it's going to bug me even more later on.

I like the look of the Saturn Sky, although not as well as the Pontiac Solstice (it's GM twin). They are very cool looking. PeterC commented that his started to show unpleasant signs of wear at an early stage. They are very low - I think the ingress/egress is even worse than a Miata because of the significant door sill. Still, it might be fun to drive one and see if they want to just give it away to get rid of it. I think consensus among the automotive press is that the Sky just isn't quite as good a car as the Miata.

Yes, Zarak, I'm sure you're right. I should drive a Subaru GT before taking the plunge. Damn list expander.

I drove a 2005 RX-8 (in Grand Touring trim) today. I liked it quite a bit. The engine was so smooth, and very powerful as Chris described (higher RPM). I thought it was similarly fun to the S2000 and Si in that respect. I like how it has more than 2 seats and something of a trunk. It corners really well, yet doesn't have a punishing ride. I like how it looks. The problems were that I really don't fit very well - my head kind of brushes the head liner in an annoying way in my preferred driving position. And the sunroof is really laughably small - to the point where I'm not sure it satisfies one of my key criteria.

I guess I'm still not sure where I'm going to compromise exactly.

Still have the Volvo S60 R in the back of my head. I probably need to drive it to put it to rest, but there isn't one close.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem