I'm far, far from a professional driver but I used to do some ice track racing on the river where I grew up. It was a just for fun, organized event a few weekends every winter when the ice conditions were good. I think I started to Heel and Toe as a natural reaction to the conditions. Nobody told me to do it, it just seemed to develop on it's own as you desperately tried to learn how to control the car on ice.

It was a lot of fun as the ice leveled the playing field as far as fast cars vs. the regular cars. The only traction aid allowed/required were road legal, studded tires. A good driver could trade cars with anyone and still win the race.

However, I don't do it in my daily driving but I have found myself resorting to it in offroad situations. Although as far as rock crawling goes, my old Jeep was geared pretty low so I could literally sit on a steep incline, leave my foot on the brake while I engaged the clutch and the engine would actually overcome the brake and start moving forward without any risk of rollback without any fancy brake feathering.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.