You're experiences with the lack of torque at lower RPM is what you'll find with all the 4 and 6 cylinders, unless their supercharged. The Rotary, not so much. The rotary actually has a great looking torque curve for an IC engine. This is also an issue with V8's to some extent. I used to struggle with this for years when I was building engines for money. I just couldn't get the young and stupid to understand that more isn't always better or more fun. They'd have some magical HP number in their heads more for bragging rights than winning races or having fun. You just can't have low end torque and high RPM horsepower both without stealing from one or the other with push rod activated cylinder valves. One day, F1 tech with solenoid actuated valves will trickle down and we'll have both, but that's a long ass way's off.

Maybe you should start looking at vettes Tom. A quick search shows several base model C-6 vettes with manual transmissions at or close to 25K. Here's a good buy>>>> http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-corve...emans-blue.html