Mojo - The bass from the actives is exceptional, but can still be improved upon with the EP500/600/800.

Let's start here - from 2002 until 2010, I tested over 100 subwoofers here, and did hundreds of hours of blind listening. It was in 2005 that Ian and I first talked, after a test of the vented EP-500 and EP-600.

I had, after a lot of blind listening tests, picked those 2 as my favorite 12 inch subwoofers. Fans of Hsu and SVS went ballistic - even though I had actually owned more Hsu and SVS subs than pretty much anyone.

During these tests, a lot was learned, and I posted this info on the AVS forum back when it had useful information instead of the marketing tool it is now.

One of those pieces of information was this: A subwoofer that is linear from 32 Hz up to and passed the crossover point, and that can do so at high levels, will give one amazing music performance, as well as cinema.

Too many subs were going after the 20 Hz output level and forgetting linearity.

What you are experiencing a speaker with three built in "subwoofer" drivers that are tuned to about 38 Hz and linear to 34 Hz. The lowest frequency of a 4 string bass guitar is 40 Hz, while even the largest kick drums are usually at 40 Hz or above.

You are also getting this linearity out to the 200 Hz crossover, which means the harmonics of the fundamental frequency are presented flawlessly in your system.

This adds up to what you consider to be the "best subwoofer."

Properly set up, the EP-500 can add a lot to your actives, but it will take work.