Time for some more learnings.

As some of you know, I've been feeding my dual 500v4 off the active DSPs. They are positioned on the inside of each LFR. The 800v4 is in the back of my space on the .1 channel. I often switch it to what Onkyo calls "double bass" which sums the front channels and sends them to the sub. In this configuration, the 800 adds some real nice lower end support to the 500s. The 500s add spatial dimensionality to the bass.

As you can see in the top image below, I've now moved the 500s to the sides of my space, forward of my MLP. I also moved the 800 11 feet in front of me. I tried two configurations: a) 500s still fed off the DSPs and 800 off the .1 and b) all fed from .1.

Moving them to the side did what I hoped it would do - bring the sea of bass out from my front wall so that it illuminates more of the space around my side walls and into my room. This may be difficult to understand because I already had a lot of subbage. But, it has to do with how the subbage interacts with the room. I had room-filling bass to be sure that no one in their right mind would complain about. But, I suspected it could get thicker and more textured.

That it did. But not enough. I paid a lot of attention to placement and then calibration...at least as much as I could given the very humble controls and tools I have. So I then tried configuration b) and fed all three subs from .1. Bingo! The bass now is deeply saturating from the front wall to almost my MLP. The increase in texturing doesn't require an audiophile degree. It is extremely noticeable. The highly resolved growls that I love so much from my Axiom sealed subs have increased in resolution and intensity.

My dual 600s in walnut caramel arrive on Tuesday. Those are going in the back and I am keeping my fingers crossed that with both of those, I will have a temporal, spatial and spectral equipotential bass field across my entire room.

The second photo below is the splitter I am using on the 800 to feed the 500s. I don't recommend it. If you are thinking of a splitter, get a Y-cable instead.

Finally I have included links to the coax cables I purchased for the subs and joiners. I tested the conductivity and insulation for both. I didn't want any shorts that could take out my gear.

Edit: I forgot to mention I have a ton of headroom. The Onk sub gain is set to 0. The 800 is 3 on the gain dial, one 500 is at 4 and the other at 5. At my usual -30 to -20 music listening level, I likely have at least 40dB of headroom on each sub.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07D6K81WS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01CJ5SCGW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by Mojo; 11/09/20 03:42 AM.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated