Chess, the answer to your question is it depends on how good the room correction system is.

An analogy is a mechanic. You take a perfectly good car in and ask for it to be fixed and instead they pooch it. A good mechanic will inspect it and tell you it's perfect and get it the hell out of his shop because it's taking up valuable space.

Now here's something very interesting. When I apply XT32 to my Bose 601s, Audyssey does absolutely nothing that is audible. But for my passive Axioms, it does a lot. That's not because the 601s are better. It is because the 601s have no peaks to attenuate within my room. There are no highs, no lows and a big valley in between. Therefore, the room interaction has been minimized within certain bands. This is absolute brilliance on Bose's part. I'll say it again. Brilliance. Why? Because any doughhead can drop the 601s anywhere in the room and they will not sound objectionable due to no bass bloat or shrieking highs. That's why they sold bazillions.

No one talks about this because no one knows about it. I only figured it out because my 601s made the tour to many different homes. And they always sound the same.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated