I have an update on the active LFR1100s.

In my main space, I wasn't completely satisfied with how they didn't completely acoustically disappear and their soundstage width. My reference for disappearing is M2, M3, M5, M50 and even the M2OW in my living room. My reference for width is M2, M2OW and M5. All of these speakers have given me width way outside the speaker boundaries right to my side walls which are 5 feet away from the speakers. All speakers give me excellent depth including the M100.

Ian told me years ago to work at eliminating "position error". All of the smaller speakers I mentioned are less prone to position error when it comes to imaging. Bass response is a different matter; the M2, M2OW and the active LFR1100 are the best in the bass error department. The actives are exemplary and I really would love to understand how such linear bass response was achieved because it is quite uncanny. The QS10 and VP160 also need bass correction. There's only so much you can do with passive speakers and I think what could be done was done very well by Axiom in the v4.

So regarding position error, I spent the last 3 weeks moving the actives ever so incrementally to maximize acoustic disappearance and extend width. I am very happy to report I am now completely satisfied with how they disappear and more satisfied with width but can't say I'm completely satisfied. To get the surround effect that Craig described with Pulse, I have to turn the volume up to an uncomfortable level. That results in total immersion including the aircraft coming from behind and up above and crashing in front. I want that at a lower volume. I am disappointed with all the work I've had to put in. I don't expect anyone out there to go through what I've been through.

It's worth noting I am very picky. I am sure others would say I was over-analyzing. But I also know what I was hearing so I had to try to fix it. Movies were never a problem but certain songs were.

I still don't have to use Audyssey XT32 for 2-channel. I turn it on for movies though to correct the QS10 and 800.

I theorize the panacea for the vast majority of listeners will be the active M5. Those will likely minimize position error and give incredible soundstage while disappearing. The only thing they won't achieve is the SPL of the LFR1100 but they'll still be no slouch giving clean 107dBC peaks at 12 feet away.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated