I figured I'd post this here for reference.

I was taking some measurements with my active set-up today. I've been meaning to do this for a while to satisfy my curiosity. I was hitting 100dBC peaks at 14 feet away. This is very loud for me. I'd never listen this loud. My Onk was at -5 and channel levels are calibrated pretty close to 0.

I had my actives playing wide open and no sub. My DMM read about 5VRMS max on the woofers, 3V on the front mids and half a volt on the front tweeter. I didn't measure the rears. I can't measure true voltage or SPL peaks. I estimate maybe 8W average max total.

I don't know what the peak power was but if I work back from the SPL I was measuring and the spec'd in-room active LFR sensitivity, I was hitting 50W peaks per channel. So pretty close to 9dB peaks above average. I was listening to Bob Marley Legend on tape via RCA cables that are 10 feet long and 40 years old.You know...the ones that are as thin as a hair and a depressing gray color. smile

Of course all this could be wrong because my equipment is laughable but it feels right.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated