Mojo - You are trying very hard to bring information to the board based on your listening experiences. This is a good thing.

So - based on this - please take this note as nothing more than an attempt to assist.

You have preferences in speakers, and this is great. When you declare something is "better," this is no longer an opinion. It is a declarative. When you say the bass from an M2 is "better" than is the bass from an M5, you are merely expressing your opinion, but you make it seem like it's a fact.

It would be much more helpful if you would make statements along the line of "I preferred the M2 in this room."

There is nothing wrong with that.

The M2 is flat to about 70 Hz and the M5 to about 50 Hz. By definition, the M5 has "better bass." But you like the M2 over the M5.

When one adds into this that you claim the bass from the LFR-1100's is "better" than the bass from the Axiom subs, the response curve on the speakers you think are "worse" roll off higher in frequency than do the speakers you consider "better."

It's a preference.

We have done 100's of blind tests at our place, and Ian has done 1000's. It's always an education when you do these. You learn as much about the listener as you do the product in question.

We have had people who don't like the sound of bass below 60 to 80 Hz. In fact, this is not that unusual.

My personal preference is a flat response curve to 10 Hz. I have found this in blind tests. That doesn't mean what I prefer will match up to what others prefer. Many have preferred the sound with no subwoofer in the system.

An article on an on line "Webzine" recently had a gent saying he would NEVER use a subwoofer, as he doesn't like boomy bass.

A properly dialed in subwoofer will not be boomy. Nor will a 6.5 inch driver sound "faster" at, say, 40 Hz than will a 12 inch driver.

You are learning a lot during your journey. So please allow a finish to this - take it from someone who has done thousands of blind tests in his 40 years in this hobby - your preferences are great. They may even change.

Take the time to reflect on your listening sessions, and think about what makes you prefer one sonic presentation to another. Try to do it without knowing what speakers you are listening to, if you can. Blind or double blind will work.

We will tackle your front end another time. smile