Cork, rooms and speakers form complex systems. Speakers and rooms with less than ideal characteristics wreak bass havoc together.

There has been only a single speaker model that I've placed in my average-sized living room that played perfect uncorrected. That's the active LFR1100. Every other speaker, including non-Axiom, needed anywhere from a little to a lot of bass correction regardless of the number of drivers or size. Surprisingly, the M50v4 fared far better than the M3, M5 bookshelf and M5OW. The M2OW and M2 bookshelf needed very little. The M100 was a total disaster. All of those that didn't do well in my living room did very well in my larger main room but still needed correction. The actives don't need any correction even in my larger room. The M100s are also doing very well in my friend's largish living room.

One other speaker that didn't need bass correction was the Bose 601 series II. But I don't really consider that abomination a speaker.

If you want a very nice, economical speaker you can just drop in a room and not worry about any ill effects, the M2 is the way to go.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated