Tom,

I tend to not drink wines from Italy or Spain. They're just to tanic for my tastes because they are made to drink with food.

I did happen to see a write up in a cooking magazine recomending some Sicilian wines though. They sound pretty good and I intend to pick some up and give them a whirl. Here's a copy / paste.

--------

2005 Feudo Arancio Ner d’Avola Sicilia, Italy ($9) - A great introduction to Sicilian red wine and a tremendous value, this medium-weight red has pretty violet, black cherry and spice aromas, rich blackberry flavors and great overall balance.

2006 Feudo Arancio Grillo Sicilia, Italy ($9) – A fresh white to drink young, especially with seafood. Fruity and unoaked with melon, jasmine and white peach flavors.

2006 Cusumano Nero d’Avola Sicilia, Italy ($12) – A great example of Nero d’Avola, with Zinfandel-like berry flavors and cardamom and violet notes through the stiff finish.

2006 Cusumano Benuara Nero d’Avola / Syrah Sicilia, Italy ($16) – A hearty red with juicy blueberry and blackberry aromas, cherry jam and berry flavors, with hints of licorice and menthol.

2005 Tenuta delle Terre Nere Calderara Sottana Etna Rosso, Sicilia, Italy ($28) – Made from the Pinot Noir-like Nerello Mascalese grapes grown on the volcano Etna, this red has pretty berry, cherry, cinnamon and vanilla aromas, juicy red fruit flavors and black tea-like tannins.