Quote:

can you educate me about the process by which a rich, robust grape like Zinfandel is reduced to that Blush-colored beverage? And are there economic or procedural reasons why the White Zinfandel is (falsely?) perceived as necessarily inferior to other wines of its ilk?

I mean, it's obviously something that CAN be enjoyed and COULD be well made, so why does it get such a bad rap?

Our summer wine thing is sangria made from cheap zin, fruit juices and triple sec. It's really quite good, and looks lovely with the oranges, lemons and apples floating around in it.

Of course, while my wife and most of the guests are drinking that swill, I'm off having a civilized craft beer

Tom,
You do realize Chess was joking right?

But anyway, I'm not real sure how it's all done, but I believe that W Zin is made from left over grape skins that didn't make QC from other wines made. So in a sense, W Zin is the "left overs", or to put it crudely, the crap that the wine maker didn't want polluting his/her other wine. That's why it gets the bad rap. Some however are very good and the wine maker puts a lot of effort into them.

I'm sure Chess can elaborate or tell me I don't know squat, which I really don't.....

My favorite Sangria is Brandy (or Cognac), box of cheap Chardonnay, Controu, dash of cinnamon, mandarin oranges, cherries, peaches and a lime. I mix it, let it infuse for a day or two and then serve it in a picture with ice.

Quote:

People, people... there's a reason that hard liquor exists...

I was thinking about starting a "cocktail thread". I'm a pretty good mixologist.