Quote:

Take it to the beer thread!

Now, chess, I was going to let it go the first time, but really! I'm sure you're not actually accusing Beer aficionados of exhibiting the sort of elitism that has long plagued oenophiles, and which you so clearly abhor.

If I may be so bold as to project my reaction, I think Ken and Peter's response indicated surprise more than derision. People like you and Mike have offered such excellent counsel regarding the dizzying wine culture that it seemed incongruous to receive a recommendation for a variety that is widely perceived to lack depth.

So, to steer our wayward thread back to its meritorious level, can you educate me about the process by which a rich, robust grape like Zinfandel is reduced to that Blush-colored beverage? And are there economic or procedural reasons why the White Zinfandel is (falsely?) perceived as necessarily inferior to other wines of its ilk?

I mean, it's obviously something that CAN be enjoyed and COULD be well made, so why does it get such a bad rap?

Our summer wine thing is a sangria made from cheap zin, fruit juices and triple sec. It's really quite good, and looks lovely with the oranges, lemons and apples floating around in it.

Of course, while my wife and most of the guests are drinking that swill, I'm off having a civilized craft beer

bibere usque ad hilaritatem