I was originally messing around with the layout based off of this website from a guy that I have met and trust:
Dolby Atmos: Dispersion Requirements for Ceiling Speakers

Specifically this layout as it deals with my room height (ok, I have a little more than 7.5 feet of height) but attacks the 2 row problem.

I had pushed the front overheads closer to the screen to try to adapt better to some of the DTS:X recommendations that I've seen and that plan was confirmed with a resounding "YES" from a number of people at AVS. By the rear overheads just seemed to not even be noticeable like that. They are just too close to overhead and changing them on the receiver from Top Middle to Top Rear didn't make any real difference.

So screw the second row. They will still get some good overhead sound as part of the Atmos experience, but I want to the front to sound the best since that is where I sit. Instead I am getting mediocre sound in both rows so it was time for a change.

I checked on my drywall patch work this morning, and everything was ready for a second coat, so I did that quick before leaving for work and left the fan blowing. With any luck, it will be ready for wet sponge sanding, texturing, and painting by the time I get home from work. My target goal is to get the room put back together, including wall panels and even the star ceiling finished, although I am not 100% sure how I am going to get that hung up on the ceiling again by myself, but I am pretty crafty and will come up with a way. Maybe even a set of 2x4s in a "T" configuration to help prop it up while I put some finishing nails in again.

I will work up a modified version of the image above to better reflect the "before" and what will be the new "after"...

Farewell - June 4, 2020