I am Canadian Bigjohn, from just outside Toronto - born and raised in the area. Outside of the US...you are a foreigners,and the preception varies. ( I actually view y'all as foreigners here, as the board is hosted by a Canadian company!!!) LOL

BigJohn and pmbucko - yes, it is refreshing to learn about different cultures - as close as our countries are, they are very different. Yes, it is also interesting to find that some of the stereotypes and such are not representative of the entire population. As part of my job, I travelled the US extensively, and found exactly what you referred to in terms of views about areas,cities and states. But that is pretty much around the world. As the view gets larger, the area under the scrutiny gets larger.

I must say that travelling in Europe and even as close as to Mexico, was an eye opener. When people thought I was a rich, tall blonde American, I got a certain level of treatment. But when they found out I was a Canadian, the treatment improved dramatically. I was given many reasons for this, but it always made me uncomfortable that I was preceived as bad, and suddenly I was good when I did nothing to change!!!!

I agree that it is a wonderful thing to be able to choose. It is a common misconception that choice is not allowed in all countries. This is true in some countries to be sure. Some of the most beautiful countries in the world are really no different than North America in that respect.

There are good and bad in all people, cultures, religions, countries that fact is without fail.
...but enough rambling......