Traditional values of the 1950s may be found in the media of the time, but your generation was conceived in the back seats of 1950'a Chevys, Fords, Hudsons, Packards, and for the lucky few, Nashes and Ramblers. Certainly, those were golden years economically, where in most cases a single bread winner could provide for their family, homes and cars were much more affordable - school shootings were pretty much unheard of, classrooms were orderly, children were respectful to adults ... I think those were more innocent times, in that we had not yet gone through the Vietnam experience nor had our faith in the truthfulness of our military and government yet been profoundly shaken. We struggled for civil rights and feared Joe McCarthy and J. Edgar Hoover. Things aren't black and white PMB, at least not here, in our dynamic, evolving society. You appear to take our lack of perfection as proof of our depravity. A pluralistic society tolerates the Christian right. You seem to think that the right and democracy are incompatible. Very strange, very intolerant.

If you think the US is fascistic, permit the respectful suggestion that you have no idea as to what fascism or totalitarianism mean. It's one thing to criticize our society, it's another to deprecate it. One is constructive, the other a wrecking.

Whether or not this administration has cut some funding from scientific research is irrelevant to the contention that it is "anti-modern." I certainly hope that we fix the Hubble and am in favor of much broader guidelines for stem cell research. The fact that the Bush administration may under fund some of my favorite projects does not make it "anti-modern," or "anti-science."

I think Kerry is effete with an undisclosed agenda which is not in the US's best interests. That does not equate to endorsement of action for action's sake.

I don't have any trouble distinguishing between Islamo-Fascists and other Muslims. I think we can say Islam has reached a higher level of culture and civilization when it can make the distinction, rejects Islamo-Fascism and fights against it. Until that day, the distinction is indistinct.

Yes, 9/11 changed our national perception of our place in the world and how we are seen by Islamo-Fascists and their toadies, like the French.

I won't deal with the rest of your points individually because it's my bed time. I will say that you might want to examine your own values, how honest you are in reconciling the troubling facts of the religious war being waged against the West, and your tolerance of the cultures which spawn, encourage, finance, and celebrate the successes of those who are fighting against us - those who murder us without distinction or pity or care. Those are the folks who are in a state of permanent war ... it just took a while for them to get here and get at us. If we react, you accuse us of encouraging a state of permanent war? Strange. Perhaps a bit more tolerance of our own society and a bit less of those who are fascists and murderers and who make war on us would make a bit more sense.

Anyway, g'night all.

Last edited by 2x6spds; 10/13/04 06:34 AM.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.