I picked it up. However, I didn't know how to answer, as I am sometimes on the fence about FEMA....depending on how much of my liberal streak exposes itself . I definitely think that it should be reformed. There's no reason that the federal government should pick up the full tab on natural disasters. Instead, I would suggest that FEMA should be there to provide access to low-interest loans for rebuilding.

As BigWill put it, natural disasters happen....$hit happens. It's not the government's job to foot the bill for fixing things. That's why we have homeowners insurance, flood insurance, etc. If you don't have those, then you are taking that risk. People down in florida, especially those on the coast, knew the risks when they moved there (my mom included). Not having insurance in those scenarios is foolish.

I know that I might get flamed for the above statement by some of our more liberal peers here, but this is just another entitlement program bleeding the country. Just because a tornado rips your home apart doesn't mean that we as a country should pay to have your house rebuilt. Do like the rest of us.....file a claim with your insurance. If they don't replace the house, then pack up your crap, get an apartment, and start over. Home ownership is not an entitlement. If the forces of nature decide to take from you, nothing entitles you to have it back.

Now...just keep fingers crossed that a remnant of Jean doesn't twist up into a tornado and rip through my house for saying that.