Realizing it is not for everyone, I personally found that martial arts were the best way possible for me to stay in shape. I've always played some form of sports, not always well but I played. Many built up cardio and certain muscles but I either felt lacking in strength, flexibility or some other aspect. I tried the gym a few times but routine is the ultimate de-motivator for me.

Karate proved to be just the thing. It involved a very challenging, total body workout. It built strength and flexibility. Best of all, I could go three nights a week and never, ever did I feel boredom. Every class had something new and never felt repetitive.

Our club had exceptional instructors who inspired as well as taught. It catered to those who wanted to compete but they also welcomed and encouraged those who were just there for exercise. No matter which way you focused, it equated to a very cardio centric and muscle burning workout that challenged you to improve yourself and often had your mind working as hard as your body.

Classes varied greatly from night to night. You never knew what the focus might be or when something new would be taught. For me and my particular personality, this equalled motivation.

Sadly, due to a badly damaged knee, I can no longer participate in anything that involves leg impact. I struggle to keep my otherwise thin body from developing a beergut every winter. Nothing worse than a skinny guy with a beer gut. You look like the aliens from Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

Just thought I'd mention it for those people like me who have trouble with gym workouts. Although, I recognize most programs are wayyy better than they used to be to add variety. But if you are like me and need to always have something new thrown at you, consider a martial art as a self-motivating form of exercise. The key is to find a club that suits your goals. It doesn't have to be about physical combat. Many clubs welcome those who are just there for the exercise.

Last edited by Murph; 07/17/12 02:07 PM. Reason: shortened it, believe it or not.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.