Originally Posted By: Adrian
For the kitchen, why not consider keeping the cabinets but replacing the doors only, replace the counter top(a nice granite one) and new sink, and backsplash. Then ceramic the floors. I'm sure you could do this for less than $5G total, probably less than $3 if you bought yourself a Freud rail/stile cutter ;\) You could make your own counter top from 3/4" ply and ceramic the top of it, as another option(cheaper, still looks nice).

See, this is why I need you as a neighbor. You're so confident that you make this stuff sound easy! (Well, I already have bought a rail/stile bit set in anticipation of this and other projects!). And, what do I do with the asbestos-laden flooring? Bury it in my my neighbor's backyard?

I actually would only replace the cabinet doors (and matching face trim). Part of the "experiment" within building that spice rack was matching the finish to the finish that's (freakin') everywhere in this kitchen.. including the walls!

I'm not sure how well I would do with the granite or tile counters. I really think I'd have to leave that to experts.

Much of the problem here is that nothing is exactly square or level, so everything always has to be jury rigged.

You can get a stand-up shower/tub combo if you have the room for it. Some of these are in 2 or 3 sections to make it easier to move into place and install, also some have a closed top vs open top. Getting involved with a lot of plumbing changes is something I'd only do if you're going to stay in your house. Why not get a couple of estimates with no obligation, you might steal some ideas from the contractor!

Yeah, the enclosure is what we were planning. We're planning on being here for a long haul, because it's a good location for the business.

Without getting too personal, Mark, are your pipes exposed on the outside of the house?

No, but they are above that pantry in an area that's just open to the rear porch roof. I cut a good sized hole in the pantry ceiling and was surprised to see a large uninsulated area that had air at about -15° pouring out of it as if it were a wide-open window. I put a square of plywood over it and told myself I'd cut it bigger in March/May and try to see exactly what's up there!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::