Just to prove that I screw up (often), here's a problem for which I can't figure out a solution.

I like to put those electric "candles" in the windows over the Holidays. Joyce doesn't. She's concerned that the cat or dog will knock one off the window sill and start a fire or, at the least, get glass in their paws from the broken bulb.

So, this past season, I decided to build a wooden "bracket" that would slide over the edge of the window sill and, if necessary, be screwed into the bottom of the window sill.

So, I checked the thickness of the sills, built a prototype, and tried it on five different windows. Perfect. I bought the wood and setup a little assembly line to make them all. I glued the pieces together. And they didn't fit.

They are made from equal-length pieces of (IIRC) 1X6, 1x2 and 1X4. The 1X2 is the "spacer" that determines how tightly the top and bottom pieces hug the windowsill. And, evidently, the 1X2s I bought and used to build these were not quite as thick as the one in the prototype I built.

Now, I can throw these in the trash and start over. But I also figured I could save these by taking some of the thickness off the area marked in green or the area marked in red.

This is the candle holder shown upside-down:

I tried using a grinder with a sanding disc on the "red" area. But I couldn't get all the way into the corner as needed. I just tried using bench chisels on the green section, but either it was messy going against the grain or, with the grain, I couldn't get the chisel into position.

So.....

Can anyone think of a tool that could "get into the groove" and remove wood from the green section or the red section?

I've been keeping all of these in a bin in my workshop while I try to think of a solution.

As I type this, I'm thinking more and more that I should throw them out and start again.

But there MUST be some tool that could do this???!!!!?? smile

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::