Originally Posted By: mdrew
I never have gotten used to D handle routers. I have a Bosch, but don't use it, ever. I always grab my little PC.

The D-Handle of your router is exactly what I got yesterday: Porter Cable 691. I like the D-Handle for the trigger control, so I can start it with two hands on it instead of one hand looking for a switch up top. Because it's the same 690 motor as your kit, it's pretty light (which is what I wanted, as I have the Triton in the router table).
My first router was a Skil plunge model that had a sealed rocker switch right on the handle. After using that, I could never figure out why manufacturers put the switch up top, instead of someplace you could actually reach while holding on to it the way it was designed to be held. I mean it's not THAT big a deal and tomayto - tomahto and all that! \:\)

I was on my way from a woodworker's meeting to a Woodcraft to get the dovetail jig on sale...and then was going to go to a Rockler to get the PC690 on sale. I asked at the Woodcraft store if they price-match, but they didn't have a 690 in stock anyway. But then she said she'd take $50 off the D-Handle version to get the price pretty close. As I said, I liked the idea of the D-Handle, and it saved me a 1-hour ride each way to Rockler, so....

At the meeting, the guy was demoing dovetails for drawers and drawer slides... perfect timing for me! \:\) GREAT organization for $30/year. I get discounts all over the place and they even have a full color magazine that they publish 4X a year. The Guild of New Hampshire Woodworkers has over 500 members... evidently one of the largest woodworker's groups out there! I'm psyched!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::