Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
I'm interested in your project, Mike. Are you going to build a vacuum press, use contact cement, the heated glue method or what?

I really want to avoid going down the road of bags and equipment. Once I do, I’ll just end up spending a bunch of money on stuff I’ll rarely use. Heck, twenty years of woodworking and this is the first interest I’ve had in doing it. I plan to use a water based contact cement because I read that petroleum based can bleed through and mess with the finish – and I can’t find any iron on adhesive (I’d rather use that). I’m going to run a sander over the corners to sort of round them a bit. Then I plan to adhere the front first, working from the middle with a laminate roller, then ‘attempt’ to roll the laminate over the rounded corners without cracking it. I’ve played with it some, and it’s pretty pliable. I think I can do with without using veneer softener. I hope so anyway. I’ll need to make a template for the driver and air port out of ¼ MDF first so that I can use it re-rout those openings in the veneer. Well that’s the plan anyway. I got the 500’s hooked up and calibrated today (oh boy, oh wow!!) so I’ll start this project tomorrow. If you don’t hear back from me, then I’m pissed off and sanding the thing down to paint it black…..