Originally Posted By: BobKay

Repeat after me: I want a table saw, I need a table saw. It's for my own safety and I'll work more precisley and efficiently.
Do it! Do it! Do it!

In my opinion, there are very few 'rough' projects that you can't do with a decent tablesaw, a drill, and a few basic hand tools (chisels included).

If you Google "how to table saw" and "Table Saw Jigs" you will find a ton of articles on how to do many things you thought you needed other tools for, but don't. Mitres, dadoes (without a $100 dollar dadoe set,) grooves, rabbets, squaring wood, box joints, tenons, basic jointing can even be done if you build a jig... and many other surprising things.

A lot of times, all you need is the appropriate jig that is often built from scrap wood and when you see it, you go "Doh! That's so simple. Why didn't I think of that?"

Eventually, you will want a miter saw for quicker cuts but a table saw will do. Then you start to want to do more 'finished' pieces and you will wish for a planer for perfect sized and smooth wood. Then a router to add some curves and even to add new ways to do things that you used to do on the table saw, like dadoes. A band saw makes curves and shapes fun, and a drill press eventually simplifies many things, but I got along without one pretty well until very recently.

It is a slippery slope of never ending upgrades for sure, but I agree with Bob. A good table saw is like your first good set of speakers. Start there and build up the rest as you can.

Note:
I feel safe is saying this, not because I have so many years of expertise, but because I recently have gone through the same build up process over the years to the point I'm finally satisfied that I have all the basic tools I need. In fact, I've come full circle because I now want a better table saw. LOL!!!

P.S.
Although I don't neeeeed to, I'm buying a much nicer sliding, compound miter saw from a buddy of mine. Actually it's more of a trade as his price was a bottle of scotch.

Last edited by Murph; 04/27/10 04:12 PM. Reason: PS

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.