Originally Posted By Mojo
The Marantz has much finer resolution (0.1 ft) for distance

Not sure this will matter much. The difference of 12 inches and the speed of sound...

and also Audyssey XT32

I've heard the Onkyo version is also generally quite good but i have none right now and have yet to EQ my room (like with REW) so at the present time i can say ignorance is bliss. Hence, does the room correction matter?
Something i want to tinker with but, not necessarily looking for as a must have feature.

with individual dual sub support and ability to tweak the curves. You can also turn off correction for the mains.

Interesting but as a pro audio friend once said, unless you have an EQ system with hundreds of small individual correction sliders, tweaking a short curve with wide frequency ranges isn't very accurate.
I haven't yet looked at the user manuals to see what the Onk has/does vs. the Marantz. I'm on the fence as to whether i'll buy this new AVR soon to get these deals before stock disappears, otherwise i'm waiting another year.

I think it supports a newer HDMI standard too.

As mentioned earlier, i don't think the new HDMI will have much to do with our situation. No expectation of going to 8k tv anytime soon given the still limited situation with 4k alone.
We aren't gaming on this system and even if we did, unless we had visual jitter issues (and we don't on our upstairs tv with a Nintendo Switch), then...it's moot.
What else does the next gen HDMI provide that we will use?
Nothing that i've read about but that fact that it has 'future' proofed this element does tug at my conscience.

I like the internal layout much better and I expect with HDAM and current feedback, the Marantz would give better imaging and soundstage than the Onk.

I won't guess as to sound quality since the AVRs all have features to tweak things like soundstage. My present Onk has a feature that i have used and it does widen the centre channel soundstage quite impressively.
I plan on replacing our VP150 with a VP180 though so...

Refurbished sucks a bit but you have 90 days.

This is probably the biggest thing that holds me back. I just read a thread in AVS on a guy who bought this exact refurb unit and also from Crutchfield and was reporting some issues. He should have returned it.
A good price on it for sure and again i like its looks better but i have to ask myself if that extra $100 is worth anything.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."