And after all that deliberation, the final choice was the LG.
I'm hedging the bet that some of these issues are not the norm. Some i've read are coding bugs (like the HDMI no longer working issue relating back to turning off the QuickStart function as the fix). BUT, at least it seems like LG is trying to fix such issues while Sony gives me the distinct impression they ignore such flaws in their equipment and unlike LG, are not coming up with more frequent firmware updates, etc.

Additionally, compared to the extended warranty coverage at Best Buy (where we were considering buying the Sony) Visions.ca has an extended warranty policy that if not used after it expires, you get the cash back as store credit. We almost purchased the 3 year version for $670 noting that it is inclusive of the manufacturers warranty so really you are paying for 2 extra years (a total of 3 not a total of 4) but then we saw that by signing up as a Visions Member (for free) they are tacking on an extra 1 year warranty to all TVs.
Hence, for no extra cost, and not waiting for 3 years to get a store credit, we are getting 2 years of warranty. That's enough to make me feel comfortable if we're going to have issues with the unit, there's enough time for it to rear it's head and for us to be covered.

Incidentally, there is a sale on today's end at Visions.ca for the LG CX 77" at only $4998!!
The Sony A9G is on sale at Best Buy for about the same price.
Fantastic deal.

Next up, finding a wall mount and a new AVR.

Last edited by chesseroo; 11/05/20 09:17 PM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."