Originally Posted by rrlev
Chessero,

Before swapping out I'd ask Debbie if the Boston Cherry wood version is close to the vinyl. You might be able to keep your older vinyl gear. Everyone who's commented on my vinyl Boston Cherry speakers thought the wood was real.

The only reason I ended up swapping them was to match the decor of the room they were moving to.

We've had compliments over the years about the vinyl as well. It is convincing at a distance but more evident if you:
1) touch it by hand and
2) see it next to a real wood veneer product.

Debbie said that it would not be an exact match for colour which of course makes sense. Hence, I would have a VP180 sitting between two older vinyl M60s. I think if i were to spot a difference, it would be obvious given that situation.
We were going to go with Boston Cherry again but since this idea came up that the wood veneer Bostons might not match the older vinyl Bostons, maybe we should consider looking at a different colour if we were to replace them all.
There is the cost factor of course. We weren't budgeting to be replacing the remaining speakers (QS8s and M60s) along with the rest. Unfortunatley we would have to decide in advance; keep the Boston colour and get wood veneer versions and then decide if they look different enough to replace the others knowing that we'd still have to stick with the BC colour. OR, we decide now that we'll move to the real wood veneer and as such give ourselves some options to choose a custom colour.

The Boston Cherry is certainly nice enough but the chestnut stain is really rich and the Rosewood veneer is incredible. The walnut grain is quite nice too. If anyone has a link to a pic of the bordeaux stain on some finished speakers, i would love to see that. I have a feeling it might be more red than we might like.
Will probably contact Debbie about maybe getting some samples if that's still possible.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."