Originally Posted by TrevorM
First update firmware if not done already.
Yep. First thing i did was comb through the menu, looked for wifi and updated firmware. All went well. No issues. Been building computers for 20 years. That kind of thing today is a given. In fact, when i got the used Emotiva UMC200 for the main floor, i was having problems with the video switching. I was told that it was updated to the latest firmware but that was only partly true. There is a newer 'beta but stable' version that was posted for people having any issues. It was released 2018 so i figured it was likely due to the newer HDCP 2.2 and newer tvs mucking with the protocol handshake. I updated both the Sony X900 and the Emotiva with this firmware (and the Emo update was tricky). After that, all was well with video switching and the Sony.

In the menu, if you enable Dolby Surround to process legacy material (absolutely good idea) you should be able to enable “center spread”. This will accomplish what you are looking to replicate from your Onkyo.
So the menu is one of those things then that you have to be set on an input and a DSP type before the options will show up in the menu. So nice of them to tell you that. I was likely on a default DSP like 'stereo' at the time and hence there may not have been the options you mention. I'll take a look at that again today.

You can also set per input db offsets if you have some devices quieter than others. This will allow you to use the same volume as you switch inputs without wildly fluctuating output.
I did see that and i probably will use that. There is a SPL bump when i use the Roku which on the Onkyo settings, i had to turn it down from say 55 to 50 whereas the Bellsat PVR needs to be at 55 for relatively similar SPL.

On the video side, go into your Bell box menu and ensure the video and audio output formats are set correctly. They always come kneecapped at lower settings (imo to save bandwidth on their side without most people knowing. wink )
I haven't been in the Bellsat menu for quite some time and the PVR is an older model. Bell only sells their 4k PVR in Ontario that i know of. Why i can't say. Either way i will check anything in the PVR but prior to using the Denon, the picture was fine.

Check to make sure the color space is not adjusted in your Denon by selecting bypass in the setup menu.
I did turn off ANY video picture processing in the Denon but that's why i was uncertain if something was still going on with the picture. What i'll do today is run a movie through the PVR, watch it through the Denon for a minute, back up the movie 1 min, switch the HDMI out of the AVR into the Tv directly and watch that same 1 min clip again to check for video quality consistency.

App I use is called AudioTools by Studio 6 Digital. Top 2 plugins included. Rest are adders. Transfer function very helpful as well, but involved to learn and $75 when I purchased it.
I was looking at this again yesterday. One issue, it is iOS only. I have a Pixel. I would have to use the wife or kids phone for it. Not a deal breaker, but not handy either.
Second, i was going to ask what modules i would need to do a room frequency sweep. They are not perfectly clear on their website about what modules together would do this. You need the tone generation, make the sweep and record the results. I know that they a real time analyzer in the base module but that doesn't record the room sweep results and i would need to run my own content for it. I do actually have some test tones from an old cd that Alan Lofft was involved in producing.
https://www.discogs.com/Various-Audio-Test-CD/release/9065715

Are the modules below the ones you would need Trevor for undertaking the room frequency check?
I would love to compare the room with Audyssey on and off.
Note that i haven't had time to read through all the module descriptions yet but i think most of the items i need might be in the base software (tone generator, recorder, RTA)
[Linked Image from imgpile.com]

One other question i had for which Denon had an ambiguous answer. If you use the Audyssey correction and then want to make a change, let's say for kicks you want to change the Left speaker distance from 10 feet to 10.5. My understanding or confusion is that the settings might now become the 'user custom' and the Audyssey corrections are not maintained.
Can anyone confirm?
I'm also going to check with the app today too. You definitely can make changes to the smoothing curve and a few other things after running the Audyssey correction. It lists the speaker types (large, small, etc.) and distances but i'm not sure you can change them. Again i'll have to take a second look. At 10pm last night it was getting late to take on too many more tinkerings.
I'll also post some images of the room correction results today and we'll see about the Audiotools app for verification.

Last edited by chesseroo; 04/17/21 04:24 PM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."